Share to Facebook E-Mail Share to Twitter Stumble It More...

Wednesday, October 14, 2009

The Power of Words

Bookmark and Share
Press the Play button to hear this blog.
Hi there everyone!!

"The Power of Words" was the theme amongst the various speaking engagements I had scheduled in Atlanta last year. Little did I know that I would personally go through a challenge, that had me live what it is that I teach.

I had an engagement Wednesday evening that I was hoping to get confirmed. I left several messages and didn't hear anything back. My first thought was, "Oh no! A speaking opportunity has been lost." In talking it over with my publicist, I decided to go to the address I had, just in case everyone was still expecting me.

I got in a cab, and gave the driver the address. He had no idea where it was! He called on his cell phone to ask his friends if they knew. My first reaction was "Why do these things always happen to me?" I quickly changed my thoughts to, "Wow. I must be going to a cool place in Atlanta that most people don't get to see." We finally arrived on the street, but the driver couldn't find the exact number. He let me off and told me that at least he brought me into the right area.

Now, it might not be too difficult for the average person to walk around and look for the right building. Remember, I can't see street signs or building numbers. Plus, I had my presentation banner, a bag full of books, CDs, evaluation forms, and my VISA card reader - all to carry with me as I walked around looking for the right place. I started to think "Is this all worth it?" Then I focused on the power of words. And I said to myself, "Think what a great story this will make in an upcoming presentation!"

I finally found the right building - and the doors were all locked. I waited and waited, as my mind conjured up all sorts of possible scenarios. When the start-time of the event came and still nobody was there, I thought the event had been cancelled and considered going back to the hotel. Then, I quickly changed my thoughts to "What would a positive-thinking internationally-renowned speaker do at this point?" I decided to walk all around the building looking for open doors. There were about five other locked doors, but the sixth one was open!

I walked into the secluded building and looked around. I made my way to a 100-seat empty auditorium. Being someone who always tries to look for positive possible future, I thought "Wow! A hundred seats! I didn't know they were expecting so many people at this event."

The place was deserted. It actually felt a little creepy! Since nobody appeared to be around, I screamed "Hello! Hello!" and my voice echoed through the halls. About eight seconds later, a woman came onto the balcony and said "Yes." What a relief! She welcomed me and showed me to the room I would be speaking in. The engagement was on, and everyone was there waiting for me.

It was one of the most spontaneous speeches I have ever given because I shared with them the story that I've just shared with you. Was it commitment (my desire to make things work) that made the event possible? Was it my resourcefulness (trying different things)? Or was it my persistence (not letting anything stop me) and my unwillingness to give-up that made everything work out in the end?

These attributes - commitment, resourcefulness, persistence - are all important. But what caused all of those attributes to surface in the first place? How did I get myself to become committed and persistent? It was my thoughts - my words - the chatter in my mind. There was negative chatter, of course. First I became conscious of that chatter, realizing what it was I was saying to myself automatically. Then, understanding it wasn't empowering me, and deciding to change it, is what helped me to become committed, to become resourceful, and to become persistent. And, I'm glad I did.

If commitment and persistence are keys to success, how do we make sure we are committed and we persist? The genesis of these great attributes is in the effectiveness of the communication we have with ourselves - The Power of Words.

Love,
[)anish /|hmed, blind visionary

No comments:

Post a Comment