Share to Facebook E-Mail Share to Twitter Stumble It More...

Tuesday, May 5, 2015

My “Me To We” Challenge

Bookmark and Share
Hey there everyone!!

I always wonder why birds choose to stay in the same place when they can fly anywhere on earth.  Then I ask myself the same question.Every day seems to be the same day. While life changes significantly over decades, the process of the same daily routines within a year feels like forever.

Everybody's Fighting Big Battles

"Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a harder battle."  - PlatoGrowing up I had a couple friends with chronic fatigue syndrome. I took the time to learn a little bit about it so I could be more understanding and considerate. While great, I now understand that all that is just intellectual.

Similarly, I know that no matter how hard they try, even my closest friends and family will never get how it really is for me. Even with all the wonderful tools of empowerment, each day begins with irrefutable logic and constant nagging of my why life isn't worth living.

How long do we wait for a turning point? Whether waiting in the lineup at the emergency department of a hospital, or being captive as a prisoner of war, the experience of time and pain is similar. It's the not knowing of whether things are going to change in one hour, in ten hours, in ten years, or never. It's that uncertainty that is most painful.

Patience is not just the ability to wait but the ability to keep a good attitude while waiting.Every moment feels like eternity. But any quantity of time, given the context of eternity, is infinitesimally small and insignificant. We must remember that this too, shall pass.

Suddenly, Something Magical Happens

Magic in Forest & NatureIt comes from where we least expect it. Out of left-field, a conversation with a random stranger, or a strong intuition from within, we see something new.

Out of the blue, my niece finds a job posting with “Me To We” as a full-time “motivational speaker”! Who knew that there would ever be a full-time motivational speaker position for a youth empowerment organization helping to transform social justice issues around the world?

But There's This Special “Catch”

If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun.When we finally get that big break, hit the pay-dirt, or see the light at the end of the tunnel, it's still not smooth sailing. In fact, the challenges just get bigger.

The motivational speaker job seems perfect in every way. I love working with youths, I love to travel, and most of all, I love talking about social justice—creating a spiritually fulling world that works for everyone. My background and experience had me meet every requirement of the position with glowing stars.

Except one, mandatory criteria, that is. The description specifically requires a candidate with a Class G driver's license. (Our governments still won't issue a legally blind person a driver's license. It's years before the driver-less car is a feasible reality.)

Isn't There's Always A Way?

Always keep a snack of hope in your pocket.Of course I have thought of ways around this obstacle. I could always travel with a partner (someone else in the organization who can drive)... I could take public transit... We could find local hosts who may even be thrilled at an opportunity to spend more time with the “motivational speaker”...

But those are all conversations that may never be entertained if a gate-keeper has already disqualified me on the technicality. And those conversations are more perceived work or less profit for an entity that still needs to make the bottom-line.

Yes, I have hope that Me To We would live their values of social justice by making accommodations for a blind motivational speaker. That would be walking their talk of social consciousness that changes the world.

Authentic Relating Is The Key

If you want to improve in something, then learn about it and have it be part of your conversations.I applied. More importantly, I share the process with my friends and community. I have it be alive in my everyday conversations.

I said to my friend, BabyG, “I found my dream job!” Also being an advocate of authentic relating, she astutely responded, “Did you tell them that?”

Professional cover letters aren't the best place to practice being authentic, I justified. “I guess traveling the world being a motivational speaker is actually a lot of people's dream job” she remarked. Anyone can say it is their dream job—for most people, it is just a dream because they are unqualified.

Are You Qualified for Your Destiny?

Difficult roads often lead to beautiful destinations.I'm not just qualified, I am the perfect embodiment of fulfilling that motivational speaker position to its maximum potential. Every past nuance of experience now appears as a necessary stepping stone leading this way.

Ironically, I hadn't envisioned a “job” to be the pinnacle of my success. I'm glad I'm also very open-minded, and haven't confined my vision to be within the context of my understanding.

How Can You Help Me?

You can't help everyone, but everyone can help someone.I made a mistake. It's not “my” Me To We challenge. It is “our” Me To We challenge.

I help by sharing my story, and showing how our stories are similar. With structure to your story, you can more easily turn the page.

Some people feel they help simply by having positive thoughts about the subject, sending out great energy vibes, or including it in their next prayer ritual.

How else can you help? Research indicates that most jobs are acquired through personal relationships. So how do we get this message to the right decision makers? Is there anyone who you know who may personally know the founders of Me To We, Craig and Marc Kielburger?

The planet does not need more successful people. The planet despeartely needs more peacemakers, healers, storytellers and lovers of all kinds.Even if this story doesn't get to the decision makers, by sharing it, it will get to people who are inspired by it, and propel their own stories forward.

Whatever happens, thank-you. I've learned to be happy no matter what happens. And I thank myself for enjoying the process.

Let's love the world together...

Love,
[)anish /|hmed, blind visionary

1 comment:

  1. You have such an interesting blog. Thanks for sharing. Reading blogs is my hobby and I randomly found your blog. I enjoyed reading your posts. All the best for your future blogging journey. Please keep in touch with me in Twitter, @ipersuade.

    ReplyDelete