Share to Facebook E-Mail Share to Twitter Stumble It More...

Thursday, September 17, 2015

See Me Do Stand-Up Comedy

Bookmark and Share
Hey there everyone!!

"Comedy is Defiance. It's a snort of contempt in the face of fear and anxiety. And it's the laughter that allows hope to creep back on the inhale." - Will DurstI never dreamed of doing stand up comedy. Actually, I haven't enjoyed much of what I've come across; finding much of it rude, derogatory, and offensive.

Things May Not Be As Previously Seen

Instead of repaying my student loan, I'm returning my diploma... It didn't work.Times are changing in every discipline on the planet.

What once was full of coarse language, dark views, or negative conditioning, is now blossoming into something more observational, more pragmatic, and more valuable.

That's the path I'm on. It is to provide positive and inspiring life “ah-ha!” moments, through the subtle yet powerful context of humor.

What's Outside Your Comfort Zone?

Life begins at the end of your comfort zone.Making people laugh is not natural for me. Some people say I'm funny, but that's after twenty years of studying class clowns, modeling comical peers, and following professional comedians. I've never been one to tell jokes or promote myself as a comedian. Now I'm stepping outside my comfort zone.

What it takes is not just the courage to start, the discipline to continue, but also the new intelligence, skill, and talent that needs to be acquired/developed/channeled, which makes it most challenging.

Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak. Courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen.Stand up comedy is not like Toastmasters (where I'm competing in the international humorous speech contest, which has completely different rules than stand up). It's not like motivational speaking, where I don't need to practice much because it's just sharing my life stories from the heart.

It Takes Everything to Be Everything

Don't worry about what it takes. Give it all you've got!I wanted to study stand up in order to be more funny in my speeches, and thought that stand up would be an natural extension of all the improvisational skills I have been nourishing through improv classes over the last two decades.

Nothing is further from the truth. Stand Up is completely scripted (with the illusion of improvisation)! I don't know how I'm going to memorize so much detail, timing, and nuance for effective joke-telling to notoriously tough crowds. It's scary.

If it's easy everyone would do it. Hard is what makes it great!Any art, whether dance, visual, theatrical, or comedic, always looks easier than it is. But the rewards of mastering a peace and performing it in front of a mystified audience is worth the reward. Even if we don't get a standing ovation, the process of co-creation through intuition, is beautiful.

Will you be part of my mystified audience?

Our Second City Stand Up Grad Comedy Show

Funny OrgasmWe did it! We're completing our Second City stand up classes with comedian Jim McAleese!!

And now we’re ready to share our jokes with you!!!

We're engineers, writers, producers, receptionists, and entrepreneurs, who love stand up!

Featuring:
Danish Ahmed, Gare Joyce, John Orpheus, Nora Marku, Dan Donnelly, Quinten Griffiths, Christine, Lisa, Shannon, Dave, and Chris

A true friend is the only person who never gets tired of listening to your own pointless dramas over and over again.We would love to see our family, friends, acquaintances, and anyone else who can laugh, come out to see us in the spotlight!

If you don't laugh at our jokes, you can at least laugh at us.

Eat, drink, mingle and be marry.

Or at least pretend to be.

It’s happening Sunday, October 18
At Absolute Comedy Toronto
– on Yonge Street, just one and a half blocks north of Eglinton Ave
2335 Yonge St, Toronto, Ontario M4P 2C8

Plot twist. Waldo finds himself.Show starts at 12:30 PM
Doors open at 11:30 AM (The time most people eat)

Tickets: $5 at the door
No reservations

Please share this post and help us get the word out.

Let's laugh at the world together...

Love,
[)anish /|hmed, blind visionary

No comments:

Post a Comment