Share to Facebook E-Mail Share to Twitter Stumble It More...

Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Six Tricks to Good Conversations

Bookmark and Share
Oh My Goddess!  I just came up with this.

1. Ask questions.  What kinds of questions do you ask?  Could you ask more about people’s feelings and opinions, rather than just facts and information?  (Interrupting with a question is also a gracious way to redirect a nonstop-talker.)

2. Be unique.  Think of varying answers to typical questions like “How are you?” and “What do you do?”  There’s a wide vocabulary you can choose from, and every job has more than one function.

My favorites over the years:
- I’m having the best day of my life!
- I’m better than I’ve ever been, but not as good as I’m going to be.
- I’m on top of the world.

You’ll start-off with great energy, the other person’s undivided attention, and a genuine desire to engage in the conversation.

3. Leave space.  While it may feel awkward in our culture at first, allow for silence or the experience of just being with someone.  Connection at a whole other level becomes possible.

4. Speak your thoughts.  Allow yourself to be self-expressed without filtering or judgment.  Most people will appreciate this, and if something embarrassing is said, most people will forget that.

5. Escape what you don’t enjoy.  If the conversation isn’t great, gracefully exit.  Some people need to learn that they need to improve their social skills, and politeness rarely helps.

6. Practice at an event, and share this with your friends.

Let’s love the world together...

Love,
[)anish /|hmed, blind visionary

P.S. Do you know people who could improve their conversational skills?  Send them this e-mail, and CC some other people so it’s not that obvious.  ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment