Share to Facebook E-Mail Share to Twitter Stumble It More...

Sunday, November 1, 2015

Does This Offend You?

Bookmark and Share
Hey there everyone!!

We live in a culture where people are more offended by swear words and middle fingers than they are by famine, warfare, and the destruction of our environment.Stand up comedy is supposed to be edgy. People are so confined to political correctness and so called “professionalism”, that they want to completely let loose of that boxed thinking.

Humor has a way of bypassing people's conditioned filters. Sometimes people second-guess their laughter because it is “not nice to laugh at people”. In a stand up comedy environment, people have an open space to laugh at anything and everything.

Don't Be Offended for Others

I'm pretty busy today, so if you could just go ahead and offend yourself for me that would be great. Thanks.It surprised me that with my comedic debut performance, some people were offended by my reference to black stereotypes.

You know what's really funny? Everybody who was offended was white.

"If you are more outraged at poor black folks in Missouri looting stores than rich whites on Walls Street looting yout future, you have been duped." - Pete DominickEvery black person who sees my routine loves it. While I use cultural stereotypes (which have some truth), it is a positive endorsement, as opposed to being something derogatory.

So why do white people get offended? Perhaps because they have been conditioned to get offended.

And what a waste of energy, and lack of fun, to be offended for people who aren't.

Why Get Offended at Anything?

Remember that at any give moment there are a thousand things you can love.When some of my friends hear other people call me “albino”, they get offended.

I'm not offended. “Albino” is an accurate term to describe my condition, just like “male” or “Canadian”.

Yes, “albinism” may sound better, but who really cares about such semantics? It's easier for people to be authentic and transparent when they don't need to worry about using a taboo synonym.

We can share euphemisms with people all we want, but we don't need to get offended in order to do so. Getting offended just creates a negative, dis-empowering feeling within ourselves.

Tolerate & Taste Offensive People

I don't want you to tolerate my quirks. I want you to find them endearing.Everybody comes from a different perspective, so what offends one person doesn't necessarily offend another person.

Kevin O'Leary from Dragons' Den gave a great example. He was trying to rework a business so that it would provide “action” to potential clients. Kevin stated that while the business owner may find his remarks distasteful, the business plan presented was very distasteful to Kevin.

Tolerance is the first step towards compassion. And if we want our world to come together as one humanity, then we need to start by not getting offended by petty things.

Catch Yourself, then Ask Yourself

The problem isn't the problem. Your reaction is the problem.Emotional reactions have been conditioned within us since birth. We're not going to get rid of them completely. But we can notice when they occur. Ask yourself...

Oh, am I offended?
What triggered me to get offended?
What am I really offended about?
What about that is going to make a big difference in my life?
Do I need to get offended about these types of issues?
How is me getting offended going to help?
What action can I take so I won't be so offended if something like this happens again?

Life is a lot more fun when, instead of getting offended, we expand our consciousness to include the spectrum of a new perspective.

Let go. Surrender. Taste Freedom.Let's love the world together...

Love,
[)anish /|hmed, blind visionary

P.S. If I offended you in any way, then you didn't get the meaning behind article. Read it over.

Related Article:
LOL Gigglies

No comments:

Post a Comment