Share to Facebook E-Mail Share to Twitter Stumble It More...

Saturday, July 12, 2003

Recreational Adventures

Bookmark and Share
Hi there everyone!!

When my life was first full of personal development material, one of the foundational statements I kept thinking in my mind was "I can do anything." I truly believed that, and so I started to participate in activities that might be considered impossible for a blind person. I knew I loved rides that involved great heights, so I decided that rock-climbing would be a great activity to try. With rides in the amusement park, all the control is in the conductor/machinery. With rock-climbing, the control would be in my hands!

Rock climbing was a powerful experience. It wasn't just about experiencing the majesty of being on the side of a mountain -- it was about knowing that I was in charge, I was in control, and my life was in my own hands. I couldn't see all the best places to put my hands and feet for optimal climbing ease; instead, I had to feel my way around just to find something to grab on to. It wasn't easy, in fact, it was very difficult. However, I did do it, and I did affirm that "I can do anything."

I heard from many people how much fun white-water rafting was. I'm not one to miss out on fun, so I went! I knew I wouldn't be the best rafter; I knew I was going to get wet and possibly end up in the water. In knowing this, I wasn't like other people sitting back hoping not to get wet! I was very active and excited. That enthusiasm creates the magic moments of adventure. I couldn't see all the natural beauty around me, so I focused on all the sounds and smells of nature. What a beautiful experience!

The adventures don’t stop for me. A couple of weekends ago I went gliding. That’s right - they still won’t give me a license to drive, so I decided to fly! Turbulence has a lot more impact when you're blind. It's exhilarating! The feeling of lift and gravity intertwine to give an energizing rush.

In the water, on a mountain, or in the sky... Somebody once said, “Life is a daring bold adventure, or it’s nothing at all.”

Let's love the world together...

Love,
[)anish /|hmed, blind visionary

No comments:

Post a Comment